Sunday, June 20, 2010

No more angel kisses for Olivia




Last week Olivia got her "angel kisses" (actually birthmarks that are apparently moles...). Since she is a child, and kids are not usually too cooperative when it comes to doctors, she had to be put out and it was considered actual surgery. We talked about going to the hospital for awhile, and explained that the doctor was going to take off her angel kisses. She seemed okay with it. The twins were thrilled because they got to spend two nights at grandma's house. Liv was such a trooper. We got up bright and early and went to the hospital. The nurses were so nice and Olivia immediately got to pick out a toy. She slipped into her hospital gown and we waited till it was time for the surgery. We went to the prep room and they tried to give her some medicine that would calm her down. Notice I said "tried" to give her medicine. She wouldn't swallow it, so daddy plugged her nose and she proceeded to spit it everywhere. The nurse said she got a little and it wasn't necessary anyways - it would have just helped relax her...Surprisingly, when they came to take her away, she didn't even cry. She said they had her blow up a balloon, which is how she got the gas to put her out I guess. Thankfully they didn't even put in an IV. About 40 minutes later, the doctor came to tell us everything went well. Then we finally got to see her. I was not prepared for what I was about to experience. She was moaning and screaming and when I tried to hold her, she kicked and screamed. I was too afraid that she would hurt her leg, so I put her back in her bed and tried my best to console her. The nurses explained that is normal and the effects are from the anesthesia. Finally she calmed down, and I climbed into her bed with her and held her and eventually she fell asleep. When she woke up, she was back to her old self again, thankfully. She just wanted to go home. We got her dressed, and two hours after her surgery, we were on our way home. My friend Mary Ellen told me about the mole fairy, who paid a visit to our house while Olivia was recovering from her surgery. The mole fairy brought some beautiful sparkly shoes, and a little computer game for the perfect patient.

No comments: