Friday, July 23, 2010

Liv's New 'Do




After much contemplating, and a few tears, I took Olivia for her first haircut. We had been planning to get her hair cut for awhile and since we were donating her hair to Locks for Love, I knew they would have to cut off a significant amount of hair, but I was still not prepared for shock of her first real haircut....


I decided to take her to the beauty school to get it cut, and in retrospect, this was not a wise decision....The girl that cut her hair looked pretty young, and her own hair had a bluish tint to it..Hmmmm...Is this really the person I want cutting my baby's hair??


My plan was to get 8 inches cut, since I was told that is how much you need to be able to donate. The girl then informed me that it's actually 10 inches..Okay. I'm still on board. I'm not gonna throw away her beautiful, healthy hair over an extra 2 inches. It's only hair, right? It will grow back...Well, what started off as 10 inches ended up being more like 14 inches. Yes, she cut 14 inches of hair off my baby's head! I wanted to cry as she kept trimming away the uneven pieces and Liv's hair got shorter and shorter by the minute... I held myself together until we got into the car and then the tears started...I tried not to let Liv see that I was crying and I kept telling her how cute her new hair cut was. (It really was cute as a button...) We stopped home and showed daddy, (who loved Liv's short hair) and then went to grandma's to drop the bomb on her...I could tell she was as shocked as I was, but the more I looked at Olivia's new hair, the more it was starting to grow on me.


I started thinking how much easier soccer would have been with this new hair...Or school mornings...or bath time...You get the idea....


I could tell that Olivia liked it too. I'm sure it felt much lighter to her, and I knew our days of fighting over brushing her hair were over. I know there will be plenty more battles to fight, but hair combing will no longer be one of them.


As traumatic as the experience was for me, everytime I look at her, I can't help but think how completely adorable her new hair'do is....She loves it so much she has already said she wants it cut this short again when she goes to the beauty shop!


Good bye to my baby, and hello to my big girl. I can't help but think how much older she looks now. I guess she really is ready for kindergarten! Watch out Handley!

No comments: