Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Toledo Zoo
















On Sunday we decided to take a trip to the Toledo Zoo. We weren't sure what to expect, since it is a two and a half hour drive and we've never taken that long of a trip with the girls, so we knew it would be an adventure. We got a little later start than we wanted, but that was kind of expected since we never make it anywhere on time! We loaded everyone up in the mini-van, picked up grandma, and headed to Ohio. The ride down was pretty uneventful. Everyone seemed to tolerate the ride okay, but no one fell asleep as we had hoped. We unloaded all the girls and put all the gear in the wagon and headed to the zoo. We all held hands as we traipsed across the massive parking lot. The zoo was much larger than I expected! The girls were quickly intrigued by some bear statues when we got into the zoo. It's funny, but sometimes I think they like the fake animals better than the real things! We got to see the polar bear, which the girls loved! He was actually quite entertaining, as he played with his styrofoam blocks and swam around. Everyone got to see their first giraffe, too, but alas, they seemed more interested in the concrete crocodiles...They all loved the fish and other sea creatures in the aquarium, and had it not been so unbearably hot in there, they probably would've spent hours perusing the tanks full of fish. Did I mention it was ungodly hot??? I'm not sure how Livvy and I will make it at Disney because I thought I was going to pass out from heat exhaustion by the end of the day...Anyways, the girls got to see so many animals - lions, tigers, chimpanzees, hippos, rhinos, camels, giraffes, polar bears, penguins, and everything in between. Maddie especially liked the pygmy goats. The kids could go into an enclosed area and pet them, as well as brush their fur. Of course, the girls favorite thing was the fact that the goat pooped while we were standing there. So did the hippo, and it looked like straw...Livvy keeps asking if I got a picture of that...Ummm, no! All in all, we had a great day and we can't wait to go back!

No comments: