Every single day when I pick up the girls from grandma's house, the first thing out of Olivia's mouth is "NO!" Now the babies are starting to act the same way...It was hard enough for me to lure one screaming child into the car after I've had a long day at work, but now I have three to deal with. Oh, did I fail to mention that Olivia hates "the white car", which is what I pick her up in every day, so as soon as she sees that I don't have the minivan, the first fit is thrown. I suppose that is not the first fit...The first fit is as soon as I open the door to the house and say" Hi pumpkins!". Olivia bursts into her mini fit, and starts screaming no....Then the babies become jellyfish, and can no longer stand, which makes it really easy to put their coats on. "Don't want to" is usually what Sophie says as I try to force her into her coat while she is bucking and screaming...Maddie just throws herself onto the floor in a rage, and bangs her head on the floor, all the while kicking her feet and yelling, "No - grandma's house!". After finally wrangling the twins into their coats (which, by the way, is about a 15-20 minute ordeal), it's time to get "the Big Stinker"s coat on. Yeah - good luck with that one..."I wanna stay at grandma's!! Can I spend the night???" is usally the first thing that flies out of Livvy's mouth. I really want to just say yes so that I don't have to continue this fight, but to prove my point that you don't get your way when you scream and throw a fit, I say no, and continue the fight. Grandma usually whispers something to Liv about spending the night tomorrow or slips her a few m&m's thinking I don't notice...The thing about Olivia is she can not keep a secret, especially when it comes to forbidden foods. "Grandma gave me pink m&m's, mama" she'll say slyly with a mouth full of chocolate. Yeah, I noticed - thanks, mom...Anyways, now that the coats are on, there is still the job of actually getting them into their car seats, which sometimes is even more difficult than the coat situation. Usually the babies refuse to bend their legs while getting into their seats, which makes it impossible to buckle them up. Olivia just tries to take off running away from the car. The solution to this problem is bribery. I hate to admit it, but every day when we leave grandma's house, the girls all have a little cup with some sort of "treat" in it. Usually it's Trix or maybe some raisins, sometimes a graham cracker if they're lucky. The hard part is, now we have a very small window of opportunity to get all three from the house into the car before their treat is gone. Often grandma fills her pocket with a few extra treats for those meltdown moments in the car before the seat belts are actually buckled. By the time everyone is bukled up and the car is actually moving, I've learned to tune out the screams coming from the backseat when their treats are gone (which is usually a block away from grandma's house...). I'm just so thankful to get home with them everynight...
Then the fun begins again, because, when we pull in the driveway, everyone chants, "Daddy do it!" because now they want daddy....Que sera sera.....
No comments:
Post a Comment