Sunday, October 9, 2011

Back to School





Well, obviously I'm a little late on the back to school photos. Better late than never, right? Olivia started first grade this year and so far, she seems to be enjoying it. One of her bff's, Hannah, is in her class, so that makes her happy. Her other bff, Brianna is not in her class, but she gets to see her before and after school and at lunch, so she is still happy to see her! In kindergarten, they taught the kids to read using sight words, and that just didn't seem to click with Liv. It was very frustrating for all of us that she did not ever want to read. In first grade, they are using phonics, which I like much better. It seems that it has finaly clicked with Olivia and she is starting to read! She actually seems to enjoy it now, too, which I am very thankful for. I have always been an avid reader, so it was hard for me to not be able to pass my love of reading on to my very smart daughter. Her spelling words have gone from five words to five sentences, but so far so good. 100% every week. Yay! Olivia also has an oral presentation due each week. Kind of like show and tell, only much more detailed. I'm afraid by the time she gets into third grade, I am in BIG trouble!
Madeline and Sophia also started school this year. They started pre-school. They also seem to be adjusting well, and seem to like school - until last week...Two weeks into school and the twins already got sick. Yuck! Now I remember one of the things I hate about school. Because they were sick, they missed a week of school. When it was time to go back, Maddie had a bit of separation anxiety and cried when I tried to leave. She got over it, but it was hard for me. Olivia never cried, not even once, when I took her to school. Even when she was three years old. They first day of school was tear free, so I thought I was home free. Maddie still seems a little unsure of school, so hopefully tomorrow she will turn over a new leaf and start liking school again.

No comments: